Monday, May 21, 2007

Harry Runs a Marathon

Well Folks I ran the Blunose at 4:51 (offical) and 4:49(chip) time. While I would like to have finished faster, who cares I finsished and I am very happy with myself that i was one of only 303 folks to run a full marathon here in Halifax.

The first 20 Km where great, the pace was right on for a 4:30 marathon felt strong despite the showers. The temp was good around 14C so no problem in terms of over heating or being to cold. We did 10:1's and as I finshed the first half it was fantastic.

Then we crossed over to Dartmouth. In case you ever think of running here, make sure you hill train. Dartmouth is 60% up hill, 30% flat and 10% down. Its a nice course but the hills are tough. By the time Woodward avenue my quads were starting to really tighten up. This was unsuall since its not a big muscle I associate with running. But between the damp, hills and faster running speed I guess they were taken a betting.

Shubie park was nice, really did not like running on there new gravel its not flat so you feel the stones on your feet as you run. By the time I came out of the park and down a bit around the 34K mark, I can now tell you what the "wall" feels like. Thats the part of the race where you mind has to take control of your body. Up to then my body was on auto pilot.

The last 8Km where nothing Short of Hellish. I took more frequent walk breaks and I walked up the last 3rd of maple, my quads did not have anything to give for that hill. Once over maple I knew there was only about 5.5K left and I knew that i would finish. But at this point my walk breaks were pretty frequent.

Of course as I approached the finish the last 1.5K were run not to badly and I had a smile plastered on my face. As I approaced the finish I heard my name annouced and my GF was yelling Harry, Harry. I straigthend out, lifted my body up and look right at the photographer. Gave a big smile and the Winner pose with my hands right up in the air.

First thing I said to my Girlfriend was, "I don't ever want to do that again." As I am thinking about the next race. We had a good laugh as I shuffled back to get my bag and waited for my turn at the massage table. Watching the faster runners i realized that, no matter what time I finished, they were walking just like me.

Every ache, pain and twinged is well deserved and I could not be happier with myself.

Richard Marcinko "Rogue Warrior" and motivational speaker has my favorite quote.

"Pain is just mother natures way of telling you, that you are alive", Today I am very alive and Upright and Smiling.

Harry "Now a marathoner" Jacobs

2 comments:

FreddyBeachPete said...

Congrats Harry. A great effort on a tough course and in difficult conditions!

Christy said...

Congratulations, Harry!

Fast is over-rated...and subjective...but that comes from a girl who will never be fast. ;)

You should be very proud! GOOD ON YA'!