Friday, March 2, 2007

Finish of week 7 woohoo

Well as week 7 of the training for the Bluenose comes to a close, I have to say that so far so good. My weight is holding steady in the 205-206 range. Through one of my goals is to get down to less then 200, I am not actively trying to loose the weight. When I ran the ½ last year I lost about 6 lbs in the last half of the program do to the increase in mileage and activities such as hill training.

This week was the first week of hill repeats, big thanks to Bruce the RR manager here in Halifax who stayed to run the last hill with me seems I was the slowest guy that night, but according to my gamin it was a 6:40/K pace, which for me is pretty brisk.

I have noticed that my training times for weekday runs are down about 20 seconds per K over the ½. Sure don’t feel faster, I surprise myself when I finish a run to learn that it is in the 7:00/K for a steady run. This is a good pace and makes me believe that a 4:30 marathon is a possibility.

For cross training I throw in some elliptical training in the Nubody’s Gym here in Halifax. I tried step classes, and kept up very well, next day my legs were lead weights and took 3 days to recover. No more step classes until after the Marathon.

As far as eating goes, I have increased my protein to almost double what it was for lunch and dinner. This seems to be having a positive effect on my muscles particularly the legs, I am not near as sore and tired at this point. Considering my Km per week know match what my max was for the ½ and I still have a good 11 weeks to go.

My carb intake remains about the same, except I have added an extra carb in the morning. This compensates for the increase activity for running in the morning. So if you are asking me about diet change, I would tell you I have increased proteins for lunch and dinner, and increased my morning carb by 1 exchange.

This week is the first of the bigger 20+ K runs. It won’t be long until we are doing 32K in preparation for the Bluenose. Hard to believe that I have over 100K on my new shoes already and they are only 2 weeks old, I am going to be lucky to push 8 weeks out of them if that.

I wonder if Nike will sponsor me to wear their shoes. I don’t care about money just shoes. I emailed Asics about pitching in and helping me on my way to Disney with Team diabetes but no answer from them yet.

WooHoo it’s the weekend
Harry

No comments: