Thursday, March 8, 2007

Thursday Ramblings on Running this week

The weeks are really going buy and while the weather here in Halifax is still fairly cold at least it is sunny. This is the second week of hills, I must admit doing hill repeats are not the most fun thing one can do while running. But it really helps mentally as you really have to focus when you are on the last rep to get up the hill.

So far my times seem to be done from my ½ training. So I am pleased so far with my program and pacing. The upside is that I have had to increase my carb intake by at least 1 extra per meal to make up the deficit. There are still days where I don’t quite get it right and it drops into the mid 3’s before dinner. Usually I will have a ½ of Flax bread and cheese for a quick snack before dinner. I would say I am bordering on 14 – 16 carbs a day.

Two hours after dinner I seem to go between 6 and 6.5, which my sports doctor said is still to high, but it comes down very fast after the initial rise. This indicates that my body needs the carbs. So the solution would be to eat 1 less carb after dinner and then have a quick carb 2 – 3hours afterwards.

I have yet to try a gel on a run, been snacking on the Sharkies, they are jellied sharks that taste like Gatorade. I tend to pop a couple in my mouth every 20 minutes or so into the run. I also like the Jelly Bellies, they make a sports bean for carb replacement. This week through I think I will try a gel about 13K into the run and see how that effects my blood sugar and performance.

In terms of mileage I will hit 60K per week this week, which is around were I would like to stay for the rest of the program. Maybe take it up to 70K towards the last 2 weeks of training. So far my body is holding out with few aches and pains but nothing show stopping.

Aingeal my partner things I am insane, I don’t think I disagree, running a marathon is a big commitment much less running back to back ½ and full next January. But I remind myself why I do what I do. This makes the effort that much better. When I cross the finish line in Halifax, it’s going to be a very sweet moment that I want to savor for at least 15 minutes. Not to mention I am going to be a Blizzard from Dairy queen, just a small one, but after 42K I will deserve it, don’t you think?

Sue, my neighbour wrote a great article for one of the weekly papers for west end Halifax. While I don’t see the effect of donations rolling in at least there is some awareness in the community. That is the primary goal of what I am doing, raising money is important but if one person reads the article and see’s their doctor then It was worth the agony of the Feet.

As Richard Marcinko(rogue warrior) says “Pain is just mother natures way of telling us we are alive. Some days I am more alive then others”

Harry

No comments: