Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Keep it S.M.A.R.T

Keep it S.M.A.R.T

Goal setting is hard, whether it’s to go out and run a marathon or loose 95lbs. Sometimes we get lost in the bigger goal and forget that to get to a big goal we can set smaller steps. I was recently talking to the Lifescan representative here in Halifax about why Diabetics don’t often take care of themselves.

Chris and I both agreed that the news of being diagnosed a diabetic can be overwhelming at first. Imagine sitting in an office, and the Doctor is telling you loose 95lbs, lower your blood pressure, and telling you that you should be exercising 30minutes a day 5 – 6 times per week. I would think the first thing I would do is head to the nearest comfort food station (place your favorite here). Grab that food that makes you feel good and eat until you are smiling.

But, let say reality has you past that part, and you say to yourself how I am going to go and loose 95lbs. and start exercising. Well the Key is to keep it S.M.A.R.T.

S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Realistic
T = Time bound

Lets look at a large amount of weight that has to come off, we know that a 1 lb. weight loss a week is optimum, that means you are looking to loose weight through healthy eating over the next 2 years. I know what you are thinking and stop it right now. You are thinking 2 years of dieting to loose 95lbs. How will I even do that? By changing your thinking that’s how.

Well, let’s look at our smart formula; well we certainly have a very specific goal to loose 95lbs. Is it measurable sure is stand on that scale today you are 295lbs, in 2 years you will see 200lbs. Is it attainable sure is 1 lb a week for 95 weeks. Is it realistic; sure is, 1 lb. a week, and its time bound 1 lbs a week for 95 weeks.

Wait Do I see a pattern, being a computer nerd I often see patterns. What if I thought of my weight loss as losing only 1 pound this week, I certainly can loose a pound by cutting back on that muffin, bagel or donut with that morning coffee, while I go out for a walk at my 10:00am and 2:00Pm break. Maybe 15 minutes of moderate walking down the block, around the corner but somewhere around where you work.

Do you see it now not only will I lose a pound, I have added that 30 minutes of exercise a day and while I am at work. That should be easy, I don’t have to make any special time out during my valuable time with kids, computer games, or what ever your favorite hobby may be.

Now you may want to make a better change in your healthy eating but just the very fact that you dropped a muffin or bagel from your day is 4 carb choices. That is around 360 calories. Added 2 x 15 minute walks for another 200 calories a day, for a total of 560 calorie net loss. Now take that over 7 days and you have 3920 calorie loss, well do the math 3500 Calories is one pound. Looks easy, it is easy, you just have to do it. Heck Richard Marcinko would say, “You don’t have to like it, you just have to do it.” We are going to battle fat and become healthy and it’s really easy, but you have to just do it.

No comments: