Friday, February 9, 2007

If there is one person you remember who would that be

If there is one person you can remember that influenced you as a kid who would that be? Well I found an old teacher who was a great influcence to me when I was going to high school. I went to George S. Henry in Don Mills Ontario from 1972 - 1976. Well I was doing some research on the internet and I came across a name George Gluppe

George Gluppe, has trained a couple of olympic atheletes in the the late part 1990's and early 2000's. Ok you say what so thrilling about that. Well he was one of my first coaches in Highschool. George Gluppe played a significant role in my sports develpment when I went to George S. Henry Secondary School in Toronto(Don Mills). Of all the teachers after 30 years he is the only one who's name I can still remember. Track and Field, Wrestling and just an all around great teacher.

They don't make teachers like that anymore, he is long retired and living in BC now. Still coaching and I imagine running. I think that when I run Bluenose in May I am going to dedicate the run to him. To prove that yes, after 30 years 1 teacher stands out and left something significant behind. So after 31 one years Here's to George Gluppe, Coach, Teacher and now I hope Friend.

The next race is for you George. If anybody out there is from George S Henry from the 1970's and remembers George let me know if you want to drop him a line.

Harry

No comments: