Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Story,

While I did not break any speed records here in the Halifax NS area, I crossed the finish line “looking good,” thanks to John Stanton’s (founder and CEO of the Running Room) sage advice the Friday before the Bluenose International Marathon. My mantra during my races is to finish my events “looking good.” So far so good, I have completed three 10K events and one half marathon looking real good. Right now I am getting ready for my first marathon.

What makes these runs special is that in 2005 I weighed 300 lb, and my exercise was moving from the computer and going to the kitchen to grab junk food. Following my marriage separation, I found myself addicted to an online game and gained 70 lb. For four years I lived a lifestyle consisting of sleep, work and sitting in front of the computer for 16 hours a day.

I was pretty pathetic. I became a lonely guy whose life revolved around an unreal virtual world. I knew I had to change and meet some people. I made a connection at a concert with my current partner Aingeal (Angela). We each needed a good friend; today we are great friends as well as partners in everything we do.

Through her urging, I went for a physical. The doctor gave it to me straight: I was Type II diabetic and if I did not change my life, it would be significantly shortened. My blood pressure was 140/90, which is high, and my blood sugar was 9.5 A1HC (below 6.5 is considered normal). He gave me a month to turn myself around or he would put me on some medication.

Together Aingeal and I read every available book on Type II diabetes. I started on the American Diabetes Association’s food plan for 1600 calories a day. I followed their meal plan for healthy eating and added walking and peddling on a stationary bike into the mix. I started losing about 2 lb a week. My walks consisted of a walk around the block at lunch time.

A month passed and I went into the doctor’s office almost 10 lb lighter and my blood pressure was down a bit. The good news was my blood sugar went from 9+ to normal. Through healthy eating and exercise, I was able to control my blood sugar.

The lunch time walk soon became two to three times around the block over the course of the summer, and my 12 minutes of biking turned into 40 minute sessions. It was not long before I put on a pair of running shoes and started walking around the block. Starting out I barely made 10 minutes a day. Slowly increasing time and speed, the pounds came off. Exercise was a great way to take control of my sugars.

I finally hit my goal weight in February of 2006 and was running up to 5K every day. One of my co-workers told me about the Bluenose 10K he ran last year, which started me thinking whether I could run 10K. Off to the Running Room for a new pair of shoes and a nice pair of winter running pants, and my training began. I was a runner in my youth, so I knew how to get myself ready. In early April I finally convinced myself that 10K was attainable. After seeing the fun groups from the Running Room, I decided to start running with the Wednesday and Sunday practice runs.

Running with the 10K group was great motivation, and improved my self-confidence. Not only did I run the 10K in subsequent weeks, I ran the 14.5K long run. I knew I could run 10K in the Bluenose with the confidence of finishing. Not only did I finish, I finished with a time of 61:43 minutes.

Of course, after finishing the 10K event at the Bluenose I figured, if I could run 10K I could run a half marathon (21.1km). I registered for a half marathon clinic and away I went. In October 2007 on the beautiful island of PEI. I ran the half marathon in Charlottetown PEI. Life does not get any better then a fall weekend in PEI. Finished the half marathon in 2:06:37, to Aingeal I am a hero.

So here I am today, John Stanton was right—I am an athlete. I live and breath a healthy lifestyle, and I am not afraid of Type II diabetes; it something I learned to live with everyday. It can be controlled, I am proof of that. The only person ever holding me back is me, No know boundaries and its amazing what can be accomplished.

My plans for 2007 include the Bluenose Marathon in Halifax (May), the Ghost Run in Quebec City (October) and for Jan. 2008 I plan to be in Orlando doing the Goofy at Disney. This event is a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full marathon on Sunday.

No comments: