Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Principle #5, HAVE FUN

First let me thank Fishhog from the Running Room Forums for the first cash donation for Team Diabetes, its is greatly appreciated. Also would like to thank Ian Blummer and his publisher for kicking in 3 copies of Dummies guide to Type II Diabetes for Canadians.

This week I will break the 50K per week mark, this is quite a milestone in my trainning for the Bluenose. I am really excited about running this year, its taken me 25 years to get here but I am going to run my marathon.

Also going to be running the Cabot Trail Relay thanks to the kind folks that recruited me from Ontario. This is a great run and a lot of fun, Cape Breton is a part of the country that everyone should see. Not by foot maybe but driving.

This all leads nicely into todays Principle #5 Have fun.

Well that’s an easy principle, why do something if it does not provide some joy or fun. Running started out for me as a way to control blood sugar, but it has become so much more in the last year. Racing is a way to show off what I have done. It is the icing on the cake (which I can’t eat anyway). But the Bling is nice.

I often say when we are out on Sunday running that LSD that we should be having fun. Training should not be a chore but a choice. I like the feeling of doing something that I can do. Maybe I am not fast but boy I get there in the end.

So have fun, if you are not having fun running, try something else. Swimming, step classes, aerobics, Biking or even just a good old fashion walk around the block. But stay healthy.

The diabetic runner
Harry Jacobs

PS. if you want to make a donation Via snail mail, please email me at harryjacobs@eastlink.ca and ask for an address

1 comment:

FreddyBeachPete said...

Harry,

I think this is the scroller that I used for donor names:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2.htm